THE DAILY DIVERSION

SCOURING MY BRAIN FOR A LITTLE ACTIVITY

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Reflection...

It's been a long time since I've posted anything on my blog, so I'll do a little housekeeping to start, then get to my point.

Actually, I can't remember when the last time I posted, so I'll start from leaving Memphis.  Adrianne and I took a huge leap of faith (more her taking a leap of faith in me than anything else), quit our well-paying jobs in Memphis, and came home to Owensboro to open Gambrinus Libation Emporium.  We opened in December of last year, but that's getting a little ahead of ourselves.

After our 2nd year of marriage we decided to try to start having a family, since we were both tired of "practicing"!  However, we had no luck.  Then, not a month after we move home, we find out one morning that we're pregnant!  Again, I guess fate is fickle sometimes!

Well, we got the business open in a matter of 4 months, opened December 22nd, and have been cruising along pretty well.  Our beautiful, if I do say so myself, son, John Burton Condray IV, was born June 18th, 2010, at 2:59 pm.  He weighed in at 6 pounds, 15 ounces, and was 20 and a half inches long.  As I type, he's sleeping in a swinging chair, although I'm supposed to be keeping him up for another hour, when his next feeding is supposed to happen.  Whoops!

Anyway, I'll get around to posting some pictures of him sometime soon, otherwise just check my Facebook, as that's pretty much all I post these days.  If you're not my Facebook friend, just send a request and let me know you read my blog.  Then we'll be Facebook friends!  Whoopee!

Okay, now to the point of this post...  A few years ago I posted a pretty long open letter to someone.  It had a lot of unkind things to say, and while that's how I felt at the time, I know I should let it go.

Today I attended the wake of a man who was very important to me and who really shaped me into the man I am today.  I'm speaking of Frank St. Charles.  I was honored to call him my stepfather for the better part of a third of my life.  I've thought about typing long paragraphs about all of the great things he taught me, but I think bullet points make it easier:
- My personal fave, which is why I'm starting with it...  A little saying: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit."
- Golf.  Frank introduced me to the sport when I was about 9 years old.  When I was an early teen, and a pretty decent golfer for my age, he used to let me round out his foursome when he'd take clients out to the country club.  I can't begin to tell how many things I learned on those trip!
- Work ethic.  I really wanted to be a slacker and just half-ass do my chores, including mowing the lawn, but Frank would never have any of it.  I remember not getting to go out on a date once because I didn't mow the grass.  Sure, I was pissed at the time, but, as time has gone on, I've realized you can't party until the work is done.  I am, professionally, where I am today because of this.
- Etiquette.  Frank and my Mom sent me to etiquette classes when I was pretty young.  I knew how a true place setting was supposed to be put out when most kids were learning to swing a baseball bat (although I got to do that too).  I was rewarded by attending some pretty awesome dinners, at a very young age.  I've carried those teachings with me since those days.  Even today I try to use "Yes, Sir" and "No, Ma'am" as often as possible and will even, occasionally, open the car door for my wife (I always open the door to stores, restaurants, etc for women, I just can't help myself).
- Love for Notre Dame athletics.  Sure it sucks right now, since Notre Dame hasn't been doing so well, but it was something else getting to see Tim Brown and The Rocket do what they did with someone who truly loved the Golden Dome.
- Banking.  My entire banking career was because of Frank.  He always looked so great in those suits and that, as a youngster, really made my eyes widen.  I think I did okay as a banker.  However, I'm happily retired from that field now!!
- Calling a place HOME.  Frank taught me home is where the heart is.  I've moved away from Kentucky several times, but I've always loved this state that he brought me to, all the way back in 1985.
- Last, and most importantly...  Father figure.  Frank was the absolute best father figure a kid could have.  Sure, he had his faults, but he told me something very important early on... "Do as I say, not as I do".  I know I have made my share of mistakes in my life, but all I can hope is that I can be a great role model for my son, like Frank was for me.

Frank, I know we haven't talked since 1992, but please know that I still love you and that I believe I've become a man you'd be proud of.

In loving memory of Mr. Francis Ignatius St. Charles, III (another thing we shared).  May your soul rest peacefully in the hands of God.

For Gina, Angie, and Chip...  I love you!  All of my thoughts and prayers are with you and if you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to call me!
||Inflicted on you by John, at 12:38 AM

0 Comments:

What do you think?