THE DAILY DIVERSION

SCOURING MY BRAIN FOR A LITTLE ACTIVITY

Thursday, December 18, 2008

A new direction...

Okay, so I know I don't post every day, not that anyone but me is reading anyway, but I thought I might actually update more often if I had things to talk about. For the most part, right now, I don't have much to talk about.

Actually, I have a ton to talk about, but can't, because it might jinx it all and that would not make me a happy camper.

So, what I'm thinking is that I'll try to update as I try new beverages. I've been buying new beers as Adrianne and I have been going out to liquor stores and I thought I'd share my thoughts on those, again, like anyone cares.

So, tonight, while watching the Toppers pull out a 3 point win at South Alabama, I enjoyed a Unibroue "16", which is a beer they made in celebration of their 16th anniversary. It is 10% Alcohol by Volume, and comes in a 750 mL bottle. Basically, it is the equivalent of drinking about 5 Budweisers, but actually has some flavor.

Now, I'm not a pro at "rating" a beer like the folks at Rate Beer are, but I know what I like.

"16" is a strong ale, with quite a bit of spice and a long-standing aftertaste. Also, being high alcohol content, it only takes one. In other words, it pretty much knocked me on my ass tonight. I was actually standing up cheering for WKU, instead of sitting on the couch. (I'm glad I didn't go into the chatroom on the Haven however, as I heard things got interesting.)

The beer is not too hoppy, which is just up my alley.

However, I did not enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed Unibroue's Trois Pistoles, which I had the other night. WOW! The only way I can describe it is... "An explosion of flavor in my mouth!"

Yeah, that sounds pretty dirty, but that's the way I like it!

Coming up soon (I've already purchased these, but haven't tried them yet):

Rogue's Imperial Stout
Here's the commercial description:

"Deserving the title "Emperor of Ales" (unlike the bourgeois "King of Beers"), Imperial is the strongest and fullest of all stouts. Imperials originally were brewed with large quantities of hops and a high alcohol content to withstand long, unrefrigerated journeys. Rogue Imperial Stout, considered the high end of stouts, is made of 2-row Great Western Harrington & Klages, Hugh Baird XLT-80, Black, Munich and Chocolate Malts; Willamette, Cascade and Chinook hops; rolled oats; and two secret ingredients. Unfiltered and unfined, Imperial Stout is best when aged for one year. Imperial Stout is available in a new 12-ounce bottle (replacing the older 7-ounce XS-line package) and on draft.
Measurements: 26 degrees Plato, IBU 87.5, Apparent Attenuation 77, Lovibond 258 "

Rogue's Mori Moto Imperial Pilsner
Here's the commercial description:

"Golden in color with a dry hop floral aroma and intense hop bitterness supported by a big malty backbone which culminates into a hedonistic mouthfeel. Yee haw!"

And a picture:


The descriptions and picture came from Ratebeer.com, so check them out!

I also bought a half-case of New Belgium's best, which includes Fat Tire (awesome!), Mothership Whit (like Blue Moon), and two others that I can't remember off the top of my head. I'll dabble in those over the weekend, as I'm bootlegging and taking them up to Kentucky with me. I call it bootlegging, because New Belgium doesn't sell their beers east of the Mississippi River (at least not commercially), so me taking them to Kentucky is, as Judas Priest would say "Breakin' the Law"!

I'm such a BAD ASS!
||Inflicted on you by John, at 10:25 PM

0 Comments:

What do you think?